Sunday, November 06, 2005

Father's Rights

I read this article in the NYTimes and found myself agreeing with it. The double standard is a problem, and a knotty one at that. I don't have any valuable insight in how to reconcile it, and haven't thought enough about it to even try. What do y'all think?

2 Comments:

At 1:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I thought about posting about the Casey case before. I don't understand the debate for legally requiring the woman to discuss the abortion with her husband (granted in a healthy marriage this should just happen without any legal requirement).

But as for the frozen embryo... before its implanted I guess its as much his at it is hers. It contains as much genetic material from him as it does from her... But when it is implanted it becomes part of her and until its born I belive that the woman has every right to control the child's fate. Then after its born the fighting can begin again.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I can see the reasons for this debate. But I can't say I agree that a man has a right to control anything going on in a woman's body or vise versa.

 
At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The idea with having permissive abortion laws is to "protect" women from abusive relationships they're in... But - it doesn't really protect men from abusive situations, which is where it gets knotty.

I agree, in theory that having babies is best done with a stable partner, duly bound by society in whatever form that takes. That said, shit happens - even in marriages.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home