Monday, November 07, 2005

What is Information Science?

I don't know, but what I do know is that I find the Google Print project and the ripples it's sending out through our society as fascinating.

There was an article I read on Saturday about how Google and Amazon are selling 20 page sections of books. I find this fascinating, because that's what people used to do with manuscripts. No joke. It used to be that the people who owned manuscript books would have them as unbound sections in their stores, and students would go get a section of the book they were working on, pay a small ammount of money to "rent" the section, take it home and copy it. Then they'd return it and get the next one to copy. Eventually completing their own whole manuscript. I believe it was especially popular in the early law schools of the Italian middle ages.

Dave seems to think this is the written intellectual property revolution like iTunes revolutionized music after Napster. I haven't talked to him about it though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home