Abortion, choice, women's rights, father's rights, adoption
Yesterday's NYTimes had an incredible confluence of articles that all touched on the subjects of abortion, choice, women's rights, father's rights, adoption and single-parent-hood.
The Magazine's cover article, "Wanted: A Few Good Sperm" chronicles the stories of a few women in the Single Mothers by Choice movement who are fed up with dating and just want to have a baby. At the same time, there was the front-page article on how some men are contesting adoptions of the babies that were born to them out of wedlock. I'm not sure how I feel about the "go it alone" people because I do think it takes a community to raise a child. Then again, there's a statistic in the article that says that kids of single-moms-by-choice seem to be more well adjusted than kids from divorced parents. Is that because kids from divorced parents are super screwed up or is it because kids raised by single moms by choice are well adjusted? I can't answer that question.
There's a short essay about a woman who fell in love with a convict, and wound up marrying him and having his baby - but then couldn't handle being a single mom and also doing visitation in the prison, so she went off on her own.
Another technological advance gives divorced parents with long-distance relationships with their kids the ability to have weekend visitations via broadband video conferencing. I've USED this kind of software (not with my parents) and it's unweildy, but it does mean that these long-distance parents get more contact with their kids than if they had to wait months and months for a physical visit.
Life is certainly interesting in the arena of sexual ethics, isn't it?
(all links will probably wind up defunct over time. Sorry.)
1 Comments:
We shouldn't make it so hard for dads to do the right thing.
I agree. Maybe along with the statue of limitations on paternal rights for adopted kids should be some sort of notification to the prospective father that the kid will be adopted away at X date unless they want to assume responsibility for the baby. That way he can't say "I didn't know" and has the same ammount of time to deal with the emotional ramifications of having a baby adopted away.
Post a Comment
<< Home